This challenge – a bookclub challenge – is the most complex and has the most rules, created by Chris from the Behind Blue Eyes blog (Thanks, Chris!!). It’s geared to finishing up the millions of series that we’ve all seemed to have started.
1. This is a reward based challenge, with points assigned for meeting certain goals. It is not meant to be a competition between participants. That is, you don’t have to cut each other over high scores. Your competition is yourself, and your own habits of series reading.
2. The goal is to complete one series book per month. Or two, or three. Each participant can set their own goal.
3. The reward for reaching this goal (besides knocking out series books) is a credit that you may use to start a new series. Say I reach my goal in February, then I can start a new series without a scoring penalty.
4. There is scoring, but as I said it’s a self tracking system. Yes, we’ll have an overall leader in points, but since everyone will be setting their own self-goals, the scores will mean different things to different people.
5. Points are cumulative.
1. Complete your monthly goal = 50 points.
If your goal is one series book/month, you will get this 50 upon completion of that book. If your goal is 2 books/month, you will get the 50 after finishing both. There aren’t partial points, so if you only finish one, you won’t get the 50.
2. Read any book in a series that isn’t the 1st = 10 points.
3. Re-read the first book in a series = 10 points.
The thought here is that you might re-read a first book in order to refresh your memory in preparation for continuing with unread series books. So no penalty for doing that. Re-reads of books beyond the first will simply score as regular series books in #2.
4. Read the 1st book in a new series = -10 points.
This isn’t to discourage new series as much as it is intended to curb obsessive series starting and not finishing. This penalty is waved when using an earned credit. Books chosen for FoF group reads are exempt from this penalty and may be read without using a credit.
5. Read the 1st book in a new series after monthly goal is reached = 10 points.
This simply cancels out the penalty from starting a new series, since you earned the right to do so.
6. Write a review of your series book = 25 points.
7. Complete a small series (3-4 books) = 20 points.
8. Complete a large series (5-9 books) = 30 points.
9. Complete a huuuge series (10 or more books) = 40 points.
10. Complete a book and its sequel (2 book series) = 10 points.
11. Begin a sub-series = 10 points.
Sub-series will be discussed below
12. Complete a sub-series (2 or more books) = 20 points.
13. Complete a big series that has 2 or more sub-series = 20 points.
14. Read a stand-alone that takes place in the same world as the main series = 10 points.
A sub-series is a series within a series. For example, I’ll use Terry Brooks to show this. His Shannara series sprawls over many books, with smaller groupings of books within a specfic arc.
Straken is #3 in the High Druid of Shannara sub-series. It is also a book in the overall Shannara big series. As it happens, this book is the conclusion to that sub-series, but not the final book in the larger one.
My 2014 Goal:
1 Series book read per month (12 for the year)
Monthly goal = 1 series books
Points so far = 310
New series credits earned = 2
Credits redeemed = 0
Credits remaining = 2
Kate Daniels Series
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1)
Magic Burns (Kate Daniels #2)
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels #3)
Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels #4)
Magic Slays (Kate Daniels #5)
Magic Rises (Kate Daniels #6)
Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels #7)
Kate Daniels Sub-Series/Short Stories
Kate Daniels (Kate Daniels #0.5)
Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels #3.5)
Magic Dreams (Kate Daniels #4.5)
Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels #5.4)
GunMetal Magic (Kate Daniels #5.5) (full novel)
Kate (Kate Daniels #5.6)
The Inheritance Trilogy
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (The Inheritance Trilogy, #1)
The Broken Kingdoms (The Inheritance Trilogy, #2)
The Kingdom of Gods (The Inheritance Trilogy, #3)
Malazan Book of the Fallen
Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1) Completed & Reviewed: 35 Points
Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2) – in progress
Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)
Reaper’s Gale (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)
Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
Dust of Dreams (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #9)
The Crippled God (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #10)
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) Completed & Reviewed (85 points)
Prince Caspian (The Chronicles of Narnia, #2) – Completed & Reviewed (35 points)
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) Completed & Reviewed (85 points)
The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4) – In Progress
The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
The Magician’s Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
The Last Battle (The Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
The Legend of Eli Monpress
The Spirit Thief (The Legend of Eli Monpress #1) – Completed & Reviewed (35 points)
The Spirit Rebellion (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #2)
The Spirit Eater (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #3)
The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4)
Spirit’s End (The Legend of Eli Monpress #5)
Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)
Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2)
Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3)
Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4)
Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5)
Mercy Thompson Series
Mercy Thompson Homecoming
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)
Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
Bone Crossed (Mercedes Thompson, #4)
Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
Book of the Order
Geist (Book of the Order, #1)
Spectyr (Book of the Order, #2)
Wrayth (Book of the Order, #3)
Harbinger (Book of the Order, #4)
Shadow Blade (Shadowchasers, #1) – Previously Read and Reviewed
Shadow Chase (Shadowchasers, #2)
Shadow Fall (Shadowchasers, #3)
The Iron Druid Chronicles
Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
The Divine Comedy
Inferno (The Divine Comedy, #1) – in progress
Purgatorio (The Divine Comedy, #2)
Paradiso (The Divine Comedy, #3)
A Blight of Mages (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #0.5)
The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #1)
The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #2)
Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1) – Previously Read & Reviewed
Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2)
Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)
Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4)